Saturday, October 07, 2006

Socktoberfest Meme

When did you start making socks?
Not that long ago, actually. Less than a year, I'm pretty sure.

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself. I saw some great socks on people's blogs and I thought *I can do that* and I did.

What was your first pair?
My first pair was a pair of anklets based on a free pattern at alison.knitsmith.us I just changed it to a k2p2 rib. I made anklets because I only bought a 50g skein of yarn and didn't know how far it would go. They were toe up, short-row heel.

How have they "held up" over time?
Pretty well. The yarn has pilled a LOT, but I still wear them;-).

What would you have done differently?
I would have made them taller, but they are great for summer.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I don't have a large selection here and postage is pretty outrageous from most international shops, so I tend to use Froehlich Wolle Special Blauband. I got a big box of Fortissima yarn from a German Ebay shop and LOVE it. It's very stretchy. The colors aren't great, so I overdye a lot of it.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I only ever use 2 circs.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Either or. Short row requires less thought, but flaps look nicer (IMHO).

How many pairs have you made?
Not really sure. More than a dozen less than two. I've also got one or two (no more than three, for sure) singles waiting for a mate.

No comments: