Sunday, January 07, 2007

Waders Clarification

I received an email about the Waders pattern and I thought I would share the questions and answers, in case anyone else was having the same issues.

First, the abbreviations in the pattern. As I said in a previous post, the pattern was revised by the editor and some of the explanations were left out. So, here are the original stitch explanations:

Stitches k- knit p- purl
yo- yarn over/ forward k2tog- knit 2 together
k2togtbl- knit 2 together to back loop (the same as an SSK)
RC- right cross made by slipping 2 stitches to back of work, work next stitch, then work the two slipped stitches
LC- left cross made by slipping 1 stitch to the front of work, work next two stitches, then work slipped stitch
(The RC and LC stitches are from the zigzag rib, p.20, Vogue Knitting Stitchionary: Volume One.)

The RC and LC stitches are worked like cables, but the two halves aren't equal, if you get what I mean. You cross one stitch over two, instead of one over one or two over two. Here is a tutorial on doing this without a cable needle or dropping stitches off the needle.

Second, working the pattern in DPNs (shudder). :-) If you look at the pattern, you can divide it easily between the back to back RC and LC, so it can easily be worked on 5 DPNs. Math is not my forte, so I'm not a good person to work out 4 DPNs, but some stitch rearranging would be necessary to either work the crosses or the lace zigzags, unless you had odd numbers of stitches on each needle.

On a positive note,the pattern is really intuitive, so once you had a few rounds worked, it would be easy to see what stitch you needed by what was beneath. Each LC has an RC above it and vice versa. I would just chart out the zigzags and follow that. If I'm feeling industrious later, I'll do it and add it to this post.

If you have any questions about the pattern, please email me. I would love to see your FOs, too!

1 comment:

ready to pretend said...

Hi Jen
I am fairly new to blogging but have been amazed as to how many knitters I have met. Those are great socks.
Anyway...what I was curious about was the teaching you are doing. My son is determined to see the world by teaching and I wondered how the experience is for you? If you have a chance to comment I would be very pleased.
Yours Janet