Sunday, July 09, 2006

The last person anywhere on the planet to get a blog

Yes, that's me. I've had to think about it for a few years and now, in the fullness of time, here it is. Well, I don't really have anything to say. It's Sunday night, which means I *should* be marking essays from Friday's writing classes, but I don't want to. So far, in order to procrastinate tonight, I have watched Underworld 2, sort of. It was pretty crap, so I lost interest about halfway through. My attention was diverted to a lace square I'm *trying* to knit. It's from an antique pattern which I'm either reading incorrectly (highly possible) or has mistakes. It's an old pattern that has been translated, so I would say that either possibility is equally likely. I'm planning to knit my mother some lace for Christmas, so I've been trolling the internet for patterns or pieces of patterns that I can adapt. I'm going to splash out on Helen's Laces, so I figure the pattern should be worthy. None of those crap "easy lace" ones which can all basically be summed up as:

5 rows garter followed by alternating:
knit one row
knit two together yarn over across
until you want to poke your eyes out with a DPN, then finish with 5 rows garter.

Why would anyone go to the time consuming effort of knitting lace for that? So that's where I am- looking for something that looks good but isn't so complicated that I'll be constantly frogging it. I may have to break down and get a book of lace knitting patterns. The selection here is limited and I just hate to pay nearly as much in postage as for the book to get it shipped from the US to sunny S Korea. It may have to be done.

No comments: